Workplace Health & Safety (WH&S) seeks an Associate Editor to oversee the Professional Practice focus of their journal. Professional Practice manuscripts focus on current, day-to-day issues in occupational health nursing practice. Manuscript categories include clinical case reports, successful worksite programs (e.g., smoking cessation), evidence-based practice, case management (e.g., return-to-work issues) and business and leadership (e.g., occupational health department management). These articles may or may not have a research focus.
The Associate Editor for Professional Practice will be responsible for:
- Working with the journal editor and other associate editors to identify relevant professional practice topics for publication;
- Assign reviewers for select articles
- Respond to correspondences from authors, fellow editors, editorial review panel members regarding peer review and/or manuscript decisions;
- Provide editing assistance for select articles
- Guide and mentor novice and experienced authors;
- Review manuscript proposals and initiatives from potential authors;
- Represent WH&S at AAOHN National Conference annually and solicit future manuscripts from conference presenters/attendees;
- Assist with reviewing articles for the annual Golden Pen Award;
Workplace Health & Safety is the official publication of AAOHN. WH&S is a scientific peer-reviewed Journal, which is published by SAGE. Its purpose is to support and promote the practice of occupational and environmental health nurses by providing leading-edge research findings and evidence-based clinical practices. It publishes articles that span a range of issues facing occupational and environmental health professionals, including emergency and all-hazard preparedness, health promotion, safety, productivity, environmental health, case management, workers’ compensation, business and leadership, compliance and information management.
The Associate Editor position is an independent contract opportunity, including financial support, annual travel allowance to the AAOHN Conference, and allowance for professional development conferences in the area of journal editing.
Qualifications for Associate Editor for Professional Practice
- An advance degree
- Comprehensive knowledge about professional practice of occupational and environmental health nursing
- An understanding of AAOHN’s mission, objectives, programs, and initiatives
- Successful track record in research, writing, and publishing articles in established peer-reviewed nursing and/or occupational health and safety journals
- Written and oral communication skills appropriate for developing rigorous, high-quality content, communicating with authors, and public speaking on behalf of the journal
- Personal, professional, and ethical integrity that abides by and prioritizes the highest standards of scholarly publishing
- Experience in and commitment to mentoring inexperienced authors
- Project management skills and a commitment to meeting deadlines
- A record of collegiality and collaborative interdisciplinary practice
Please submit a current curriculum vita, as well as contact information for two professional references appropriate to the role, and two samples of your best published work to Lisa Pompeii, PhD, FAAOHN, Editor-in-Chief, Workplace Health & Safety (email@example.com) by Friday, November 16. In addition, provide a brief personal statement (no more than 350-500 words) that communicates your interest in and preparation for the tasks described in this document.
For questions or requests for more information, please contact Lisa Pompeii, PhD, FAAOHN at firstname.lastname@example.org